May 23, 2012
BROKE BUT SEXY is a documentary film series about the growing number of New Zealand artists living and working in Berlin, attracted by the rich culture and dirt-cheap rent. For the artists, writers, musicians and dancers of Aotearoa, the traditional OE to London is an anachronism – which is just as well, because there are no jobs there anyway. Instead, the Kiwi art mafia, along with their contemporaries from around the world, are gravitating towards the German capital of cool. In doing so, the most laid-back nation on earth joins forces with its most uptight; its most brutally honest with its most passive-aggressive. The artists share stories not only about their work, but also the differences between art-making in New Zealand and Germany, navigating cultural minefields and getting horribly and hilariously lost in translation. Our artists include musician Ladi6, painter Judy Millar, critical engineer Julian Oliver, poet Kate Camp, dancers Lisa Densem, Josh Rutter and Cat Ruka and theatre director Geoff Pinfield.
Team behind Broke but Sexy:
- Gaby Lingke is a Berlin-based documentary filmmaker and producer. She has worked on documentary projects worldwide with leading German production companies Gebrüder Beetz Filmproduktion Berlin and Sur Films, Bremen and the French/German cultural channel ARTE and German public broadcaster ZDF.
- Julie Hill is a New Zealand journalist, scriptwriter and playwright. She was a reporter and director for the TVNZ art show Frontseat and now contributes to North & South, Home, Kia Ora and Sunday magazines and makes documentaries for Radio New Zealand.
- German premiere of the German-New Zealand documentary film “Broke But Sexy”
- Event type
- Premiere: May 23, 2012 19:00
Fees & Opening Hours
- <p>Please RSVP to Josefine Beech by 11 May 2012: <a href="mailto:Josefine.Beech@mfat.govt.nz" target="_blank">Josefine.Beech@mfat.govt.nz </a> Seating is limited.</p>
<p>If you register for the premiere and in the event are unable to attend, please let us know.</p>
- Goethe-Institut Berlin