Neuer Pavillon im Schlosspark Charlottenburg Stiftung Preußische Schlösser und Gärten Berlin-Brandenburg
In 1824 Frederick William III had Karl Friedrich Schinkel build him a square, two-story, summer house, east of the New Wing at Charlottenburg Palace and very close to the Spree River. Its model was taken from the Neapolitan Villa Reale del Chiatamone, where the king had stayed during his trip to Italy in 1822. The most obvious reason for erecting the pavilion seems to have been to mark the king's second, morganatic marriage to Auguste Princess of Liegnitz that same year.
The summer villa of simple, middle-class décor, which was predominantly used as Frederick William III's private sanctuary, was almost completely destroyed during World War II.
Since 1970, the interior, which has had to be reconstructed to a great extent, has housed a museum with masterpieces from Schinkel's era. Paintings from the Romantic Movement and the Biedermeier period - by Carl Blechen, Karl Friedrich Schinkel and Eduard Gaertner - as well as furniture, sculpture, porcelain and decorative cast ironwork made in Berlin are on display.
- 10:00 - 17:00
- 10:00 - 18:00
- Creative Sector
- Fine Art