dBs Berlin is an international creative production learning community. We are fuelled by a deeply held belief that greatness is grown, not born. Our courses span music and audio production, film, visual FX and acting. We provide students with a safe space to dream big, grow their own greatness and build a life they love.
At its heart, dBs is about people. We are dedicated to building a diverse team to teach in our multicultural environment, and provide a broad range of role models for students coming into the industry. We strongly encourage applications from minority groups and women.
What are we looking for?
We’re currently looking for experienced freelance tutors. We are interested in applicants with industry and academic experience, both in film production and study as well as personal and professional development, including:
- Directing for film and visual storytelling
- Cinematography and visual design
- Film editing and post-production
- Sound recording and sound design for film
- Producing and production management
- Film financing, development and distribution
- History and analysis of cinema through time and around the world
- Professional practice and industry connection
- Major project supervision
- Writing and developing schemes of work and engaging, hands-on content for workshops
- Delivering workshops
- Monitoring student progress and providing academic support
- Assessing and grading student submissions
- Providing feedback to programme lead and attending programme meetings
- Experience with online teaching would be a plus (just in case!)
- Prior experience in teaching preferable
- A bachelor's degree or higher, or equivalent industry experience (the more industry experience, the better)
- Fluent in English, both spoken and written (other languages are a bonus)
- An open mind and “active learning” approach to teaching
- Strong motivational skills to draw students into study
- Interested in helping to build a growing creative community
- Willingness to grow your teaching capabilities with us
- Available to teach weekly between mid-September 2020 and mid-May / end-- - July 2021 (depending on different semesters and not including semester breaks and holidays)
What can you expect from us
- A passionate team that genuinely cares about education, filmmaking, and each other
- Opportunity to learn and exchange experiences with a vibrant creative community
- Dynamic and fast changing work environment
- Encouragement to express yourself and take the lead in shaping your role
- Freedom to design your own approach to teaching and the learning experience
- Possibilities to develop yourself as teacher as well as a film professional
Instead of sending a traditional cover letter, describe to us in 500 words what you would do to create a unique and powerful learning experience. Please also include your most recent CV and email both as PDF attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org
, include ‘Film Tutor’ in your subject line. We will be accepting applications until 04.06.2020. Relevant candidates will most likely be invited for interviews between 27.06. - 27.07.2018, but due to the COVID-19 situation there might be adjustments to this time frame.
We look forward to hearing from you!
We have three music and film production training centres in the UK and one in Berlin with over 1400 full time students attending our courses. Our first international centre in Berlin opened in October 2013 and we now have over 300 students. We have a unique approach to teaching and learning backed up by a strong human-centred company ethos. We’re a friendly, hard-working office & offer an encouraging and supportive work environment. We like to make sure our time is spent enjoying what we do and the people around us!