Samson & Fritaud Text is looking to put together a group of absolutely reliable German-English freelance proofreaders to work on an on-going German news project. The project will likely run for at least two months and potentially for up to an entire year. While being based in Europe or Germany is not necessary, Berlin-Brandenburg residents have the option to work in-house and apply for a contract position (please indicate in your application if this applies to you).
Your main responsibilities will include
• Proofreading English subtitle translations of German-language nightly news segments of 20 to 30 minutes, spelling convention US English. Depending on the size of the team, individual segments may be split into smaller increments. The priority is speed and accuracy over style.
• Working early morning shifts: Jobs will be issued and made available at 6 AM (GMT +1 hour)
• Completing proofreading assignments within 2.5 to 3.5 hours of receipt. Deadline: 9:00 AM (GMT +1 hour)
• Being committed to proofing at least two such segments a week, with a regularly scheduled time slot
• Fact checking information online to verify accuracy of text, providing sources as necessary
• Working either in-office in Berlin or remotely
You should have
• Excellent English and proficient German language skills
• Proofreading and text editing experience
• An eye for detail
• Excellent command of written English (US) spelling and grammar
• Good communication and collaboration skills
• The ability to multitask and work to tight deadlines (being utterly reliable is a must)
• Secure command of the Microsoft Office package
• The ability to learn and use new programs and software with relative ease
• A stable and reliable internet connection
• Be an early riser who is comfortable working from 6 to 9:30/10 AM (GMT +1 hour)
To apply, please send a current CV to Blondah Fritaud at email@example.com with the subject line “News Proofing Application.” We look forward to hearing from you!
Based in Berlin, Germany, we are an established, dynamic, and quickly growing company with prestige projects into most major European and global languages. Our core work is in film and involves subtitles for television and cinema, subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing, dubbing books, audio description, and script treatments. Our text-based translation clients come from industries such as design, hotel, tech, and magazine publishing. Our office is centrally located in the city.